Editing & effects connected like never before, at a price never seen before. Until Jan 25th 2013, you can get Autodesk Smoke from Digistor for 20% off. Combine the leading editing & effects software with a system & support from Digistor.
Do you agree that the producer offset should be raised from 20 to 40 per cent for television?
Sony puts DSLR power in your pocket with the NEX-6
[Fri 14/09/2012 11:37:10]
Press release from Emma Gibson
The new NEX-6 Compact System Camera (CSC) from Sony packs the imaging power, shooting responses, handling and operability of a DSLR into a pocket-sized mirrorless camera so you can step up to an imaging experience that’s in a class of its own.
Partnered with the growing range of E-mount interchangeable lenses, the NEX-6 appeals to committed DSLR users who need to travel light without compromising picture quality. Offering big- sensor picture performance in a compact body, the new camera also makes an ideal option for photographers looking to significantly expand their creative options.
The NEX-6 shares many imaging innovations with the newly announced NEX-5R – from a responsive Fast Hybrid AF system to Wi-Fi connectivity and downloadable Camera Apps. Crafted with discerning photographers in mind, the new camera also features the same precision lectronic viewfinder (EVF) and DSLR-style ergonomics found on the flagship NEX-7.
“This professional Compact System Camera comes complete with full Wi-Fi capabilities. It contains more features than any other NEX models to date including a customisable dial, EVF, built-in flash and a universal hot shoe. It is the perfect secondary camera to your DSLR,” said Di Shepherd, Marketing Manager of Digital Imaging, Sony Australia. “Sony is also pleased to announce today the launch of its new Cyber-shot camera, the HX30, which is also Wi-Fi capable.”
The NEX-6 includes the following features:
· Large Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor: Offers 16.1 effective megapixels for true DSLR- quality images and detail-packed Full HD video.
· Powerful BIONZ image processor: Ensures flawless, low-noise images – even when you’re shooting dimly-lit interiors at extended sensitivity settings up to ISO 25600.
· Innovative new Fast Hybrid AF system: Combines phase and contrast detection autofocus methods to suit virtually any shooting situation.
· Phase-detection AF: Quickly analyses subject distance, complemented by contrast- detection AF to confirm extremely fine focus.
· Speed priority mode: Switches automatically to pure phase-detection tracking AF. You’ll enjoy DSLR-like focusing responses when you’re capturing fast-moving action with high-speed burst shooting at up to 10 fps.
· Lenses: E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS; E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS; E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS; E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sonnar T*; E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS. Firmware upgrades will steadily expand the range of lenses offering Fast Hybrid AF support.
· XGA OLED Tru-Finder™: For precision framing and focusing, It gives a bright, detail-packed, high contrast view of still images and video with 100% frame coverage and a wide field of view to rival pro- grade optical viewfinders. On- screen grid lines and a digital level gauge can be displayed to assist with accurate framing.
· 7.5 cm (3.0") Xtra Fine LCD Screen: Angled up to 90° up or 45° down (approx.) for easy viewing in a variety of shooting position. The LCD screen assures superb detail and contrast with significantly reduced on-screen reflections, aiding composition when you’re shooting outdoors or in direct light.
· Professionally positioned mode dial: Allows quick setting of shooting modes including P/A/S/M and Sweep Panorama – just as you’d expect on much larger interchangeable lens cameras. It’s joined by a control dial located under the mode dial, plus a separate control wheel on the camera back for fine adjustments of exposure, ISO, white balance and other settings.
· Pro-focused Quick Navi interface: Allows fingertip adjustment of settings without taking the viewfinder away from your eye.
· Full HD movie shooting: The NEX-6 detects dim interiors and night scenes, automatically switching to its new auto slow shutter speed to brighten up your footage.
· Integrated Wi-Fi: Allows simple wireless photo and video transfers to various smartphones or tablets running the free PlayMemories Mobile app. Images can also be transferred wirelessly to a networked PC, or viewed wirelessly on any DLNA-compatible TV.
· PlayMemories Camera Apps™: Simply connect the camera to your PC via Wi-Fi or USB and log in to your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account to explore the world’s first download service1 that lets you install new functions on demand.
· Available apps (from launch): Picture Effect+; Bracket Pro; Multi-Frame NR; Smart Remote Control and Direct Upload. Sony also plans to introduce further apps such as Photo Retouch, followed by Time-Lapse and Cinematic Photo.
· Multi Interface Shoe: Capable of ‘intelligent’ linkage with various accessories.
New interchangeable lenses for E-mount cameras
The choice of interchangeable lenses for E-mount cameras by Sony grows with three additional models.
The SELP1650 is an extremely light, compact 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 powered zoom lens with Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation built-in for clearer handheld images. The lens body measures just 29.9mm when fully retracted, making the SELP1650 an ideal travel companion. There’s also a dual- function ring that controls both power zoom and manual focus, depending on operating mode. With the camera set to AF the control ring adjusts smooth, high-speed zoom with small hand movements. With the camera in MF mode, the ring controls manual focus. Smooth power zoom makes the lens particularly suitable for video shooting.
The SEL35F18 is a fast 35mm prime / fixed focal length lens with a bright maximum aperture of F1.8 and Optical SteadyShot built in. It offers excellent optical sharpness and clarity as well as bokeh effect, whether you’re shooting portraits, street scenes or Full HD video. Featuring a new exterior design, the lens is easy to handle and light to carry.
Adopting the super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass which reduces colour berration, the SEL1018 is a super-wide angle zoom with a maximum aperture of F4 right cross its 10-18mm range and Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation inside. Ideal for landscapes and interiors, it’s also capable of producing dramatic perspective effects at its widest setting.
Pricing & availability of the NEX-6
The NEX-6 will be available through Sony Centre stores, sony.com.au, Alpha Specialist Dealers and other Sony authorised retailers from early November in the following kit combinations:
1 For interchangeable-lens digital cameras as of August 2012
· NEX6B [NEX-6 Body only] at $1099
· NEX6LB [NEX-6 Single Lens Kit with SELP1650] at $1299
· NEX6YB [NEX-6 Twin Lens Kit with SELP1650 and SE55210] at $1599
Type Digital compact system camera with interchangeable lenses
Lens Compatibility E-mount lens system. Can also use A-mount lenses with optional adaptor (continuous AF supported with LA-EA2)
Image Sensor APS-C type (23.5 x15.6 mm) Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor with
16.1 effective megapixels
Processor BIONZ™ image processor
ISO Sensitivity Range ISO 100 – 25600 (still images)
HD movie record Full HD AVCHD Ver. 2.0 compliant / MPEG-4 AVC (H.264); MP4; up to 1920 x 1080 50p
7.5cm (3.0-type) wide type TFT (Xtra Fine LCD) with approx. 921k dot resolution; tilts upwards approx. 90 degrees, downwards approx. 45 degrees
1.3 cm (0.5-type) OLED Tru-Finder™ with approx. 2,359k dot resolution; 100% field coverage; magnification approx. 1.09x with
50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1 (diopter)
Clear Image Zoom: approx. 2x (still images)
Smart Zoom: approx. 1.4x/2x (still images)
Digital Zoom: approx. 4x (still images / movies)
SteadyShot™ INSIDE (Optical image stabilisation available with selected E-mount lenses)
Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF); 99 focus points (phase-detection AF) / 25 focus points (contrast-detection AF);
Object Tracking AF
11 types (15 variations): Posterisation (Colour, B/W), Pop Colour,
Retro Photo, Partial Colour (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome,
Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone
Continuous Burst Shooting Up to 10 frames per second (in Speed Priority mode)
Battery life (still images)
Approx. 270 images (Viewfinder), Approx. 360 images (LCD screen)
Built-in flash GN6 (in metres at ISO 100)
Auto Portrait Framing; Face Detection and Smile Shutter; Superior
AUTO; Sweep Panorama; Auto HDR; DRO; Hand-held Twilight mode;
Creative Styles; Photo Creativity interface; Wi-Fi; USB Charge;
PlayMemories Camera Apps
Media Memory Stick PRO Duo / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo; SD / SDHC /
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 119.9 mm × 66.9 mm × 42.6 mm (excluding protrusions)
Weight Approx. 287g (body only)
Approx. 345g (with battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo)
Supplied software PlayMemories Home
About Sony: With a diverse portfolio of businesses across electronics, music, film, gaming and telecommunications, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the world’s largest technology and entertainment company. Sony Australia Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sony Corporation of Japan, and a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Committed to producing innovative and quality electronic products, the range includes BRAVIA™ TVs, Cyber-shot™ digital cameras, Handycam camcorders, “α” (pronounced Alpha) digital SLR cameras, Walkman MP3 players, VAIO™ computers, READER™ eBook Readers as well as HD professional broadcast equipment. For more information on Sony Australia, visit www.sony.com.au/corporate.
Product Information: For further Sony product information or stockist details, readers can contact Sony Australia on 1300 720
071 or visit www.sony.com.au.